Well, I upgraded the stats counter (behind the scenes stuff) to 0.4.4, which didn’t go quite according to plan. It was failing to record any visits after the upgrade so I decided to set the BBC_DEBUG flag so I could see what ever messages were coming up. Unfortunately I accidently set the BBC_KILL_STATS flag first time round… and incase you can’t guess that means that all the previous visiting information has been wiped.
On the positive side I did get the counter working again (was a file that hadn’t copied across properly) and there is still a different counter supplied by united hosting which still works and has all the stats.
So not really that much of a problem, I’m just glad I didn’t blunder with something more important!